Earlier this month, we (Katie & the ABC team!) got the exciting news that Always Brave, Sometimes Kind had been shortlisted for the ReLit Awards — an incredible celebration of up-and-coming writers and independent presses in Canada.
For the 2021 shortlist in the novel category, ABSK was nominated amongst a powerhouse list of Canadian literature:
- Always Brave, Sometimes Kind, Katie Bickell (Brindle & Glass)
- Fake It So Real, Susan Sanford Blades (Nightwood Editions)
- All I Ask, Eva Crocker (Anansi)
- Seeing Martin, Su Croll (Pedlar Press)
- Honey Butter Pig Bread, Francesca Ekwuyasi (Arsenal Pulp)
- Throw Down You Shadows, Deborah Hemming (Vagrant Press)
- Dirty Birds, Morgan Murray (Breakwater)
- The Baudelaire Fractal, Lisa Robertson (Coach House)
- Fair, Ed Seaward (Porcupine’s Quill)
- Noopiming: The Cure For White Ladies, Leanne Betasamosake Simpson (Anansi)
- After Elias, Eddy Boudel Tan (Dundurn)
- Fauna, Christiane Vadnais (Coach House)
Congratulations to this year’s winner, Fake It So Real, Susan Sanford Blades (Nightwood Editions)!